This tutorial shows you how to build a dataset in Constellate. We recommend reading our general information on Constellate first. Please also see this access tutorial in order to log in with institutional privileges.
- Once you log in, you’ll be taken to your dashboard where you build a new dataset or access old ones.
- Select Build New Dataset to create a new query.
- Fill in the filters with your search parameters.
- The visualization on the right will automatically change, and provide useful suggestions to help you refine your filters.
- You can click on more visualizations for further information, such as word frequencies.
- To save any of the visualizations you see presented to you, you can click on the three dots at the top right to save the chart as a JPEG file. You can also download the underlying data for any of the visualizations as a CSV file.
- Once you are happy with your search parameters, click on the Build button on the top right.
- Constellate will then compile your dataset. This may take a while. You will be alerted by email when it is complete, or you can check back on this page later.
- Once it is finished, you will have the option to download the metadata as a CSV file or metadata + ngrams as a JSON-L file by clicking on the download button.
- You can also click on the analyze button to analyze your dataset in python. You will be presented with tutorials and python scripts you can use to perform text analysis, or you can use your own code.