Overwhelmed by all the learning opportunities and aren't sure where to start? Try our learning roadmap page to see our workshops grouped by theme to help narrow down what you are looking for!
- Data Visualization - An Introduction (Part 1 – Theory and Critique)
- Data Visualization - An Introduction (Part 2 – Practice with Tableau)
- Introduction to Infographics (NEW)
- R - An Introduction
- Working with Messy Data in OpenRefine
- Constellate: A New Platform for Text Analysis (Nov. 30, 2021): Recording - 55:30 & Setup Instructions (please note that Constellate login instructions have changed slightly since this video was recorded)
- Introduction to Data Visualization Using Tableau Desktop (Nov. 24, 2021): Recording - 56:27 & Setup Instructions (includes how to get slides, workshop files, handouts, etc.)
- Digital Humanities Tools: the Digital Scholar Lab (Mar. 14, 2022): Recording and Slides
- Introduction to Infographics (Nov. 16, 2021 - Health Critique Example): Recording - 51:21
- Introduction to Infographics (Feb. 3, 2022 - Social Science Critique Example): Recording - 50:21
- Introduction to Network Analysis and Visualization Using Gephi (Nov. 2, 2021): Recording - 1:45:54 & Workshop Files
- Introduction to NVivo 12 (Windows Version) (March 15, 2022): Recording - 1:41:15 & Setup Instructions (includes how to get slides, workshop files, handouts, etc.)
- Introduction to NVivo 12 (Mac Version) (March 17, 2022): Recording - 1:49:58 & Setup Instructions (includes how to get slides, workshop files, handouts, etc.)
- A Friendly Introduction to Python for Absolute Beginners: Part 1 (April 20, 2022): Recording 1:31:30, Setup Instructions (includes how to get slides, workshop files, etc.) & Solutions (packaged in a zip file)
- Introduction to R: Recording - 43:53
- Introduction to Stata: Recording - 1:19:00
- Text Analysis Tasting Menu: A Sampling of Available Tools (Feb. 14, 2022): Recording, Slides, and Cheat Sheet comparing various platforms
- Working with Messy Data in OpenRefine (Oct. 28, 2021): Recording - 51:56 & Setup Instructions (includes how to get slides, workshop files, etc.)
- Excel: Beyond the Basics (Oct. 25, 2022): Recording - 1:27:58, Workshop File & PDF walkthrough
The Map & Data Library hosts workshops during the academic year, providing introductions to mapmaking in ArcGIS and QGIS, cartography, use of statistical software packages, data visualization, qualitative data analysis, programming, text and data mining, and creating and finding data.
We are also happy to provide workshops for specific courses – please contact us for more information.
For help getting started on a particular topic, check out our getting started guides.
Snacking on Bits and Bytes: Learning on all things data
In 2020 and 2021, the Map & Data Library offered an online webinar series featuring presentations and demonstrations on data-related topics and tools, such as web archives, visualization, GIS and statistics. Each presentation, including a question and answer period, was one hour long. Everyone was welcome, including those from outside the University of Toronto community. For more information, see our Bits and Bytes page, which includes slides and captioned recordings for past events.
Esri Virtual Campus Courses
Students, faculty and staff affiliated with the University of Toronto ArcGIS Online organization have access to Esri Virtual Campus e-learning courses. See this tutorial on how to access online GIS classes.