- Census tract: boundary files available online via Scholars GeoPortal
- Digital boundary files (Census divisions, Census metropolitan areas, Census subdivisions, and Provinces & Territories) available online via Scholars GeoPortal
- Census divisions and subdivisions: reference maps available online (Internet Archives): UTL has a print copy of census divisions at 1:12, 000, 000
- Census metropolitan ares and agglomerations: reference maps available online (Internet Archives): UTL has print copies in English and French at 1: 7,500,000
- Map & Data Library holds an archived copy of historical census reference maps on CD-ROM: #1057.
- Enumeration area: UTL has print copies for Ontario only
- Census tracts: Metropolitan Atlas series available online (Internet Archive) for select locations;
- St. John's
- MDL has some additional cities available (.zip file). Backup of these maps is also available on CD-ROM: #1288, #1289, #1290, 1291, 1292.
- Federal Electoral Districts: UTL has print copies available for consultation (1976 representation order)
Geographic reference products
Land Area File
The land area files list the land area, 1976 and 1981 population, as well as the corresponding geographic codes. Land area refers to area measurement in square kilometres and excludes. whenever feasible, large bodies of water. Distributed by Statistics Canada, CANSIM Division.
- Census Subdivision (CSD) data file (ascii text file, 5,989 records)
- Census Tract (CT) data file (ascii text file, 3,302 records)
- User guide (pdf)
Geographic Attribute File
The Geographic Attribute File is a dataset that contains census geographic information at the Enumeration Area level for all of Canada for the 1981 census. Each record includes geographic coordinates, population and dwelling counts, land area, names, unique identifiers, and geographic codes for linkages with other census boundaries. Available online through Scholars GeoPortal.