The following shapefiles have been converted from the original ASCII text files by MDL staff. Please contact us if you have any questions about these files or wish to consult the original ASCII text files. You can also download these files openly from Scholars Portal Geoportal at http://geo2.scholarsportal.info/#r/search/_queries@=1971%20census%20of%20canada;&fields@=;&sort=relevance&limit=entitled
- Enumeration areas (shapefile - point)
- Census tracts (shapefile - polygon)
- Census metropolitan areas/census agglomerations (shapefile - polygon)
- Census divisions (shapefile - polygon)
- Census divisions: UTL has a print copy available for consultation, available at 1:500,000 and 1:10,500,000
- Census subdivions: Bulletin 1.1-12: Reference Maps (Internet Archive); UTL has a print copy available for consultation.
- Census Metropolitan Area: Bulletin 1.1-12: Reference Maps (Internet Archive); UTL has a print copy available for consultation.
- Census Tract: Bulletin 1.1-10: Census Tracts (Internet Archive) - maps begin on page 22; UTL has a print copy of select cities available for consultation (Toronto specific maps)
- Federal Electoral District: UTL has a print series of the 1971 census according to the 1976 electoral ridings distribution.
- Enumeration Area: The UTL has microfilm holdings for enumeration area maps in the Map and Data Library reference section (MFM 3401 E21 1971; roll 35000-04, 35100-01)
- Map & Data Library holds a set of historical reference maps on CD-ROM: #1057.
Geographic reference products
- Census tract conversion file, 1966-1971 (xls) (Created by UTL MDL, 2004)
- Census tract conversion file, 1971-1976 (xls) (Created by UTL MDL, 2004)
- Geography tape file (Note that this has been converted to an EA point shapefile, see above under Geospatial Data)
- Land area reference files
- Street index file
- Official List, Series 1 - "This list is used to locate enumeration areas in their respective census subdivision"
- Part 1a - Atlantic Provinces (pdf)
- Part 1b - Quebec (pdf)
- Part 1c - Ontario (pdf)
- Part 1d - Western Provinces (pdf)