The NUTS classification is a hierarchical system for dividing up the economic territory of the EU for the purpose of:
- The collection, development and harmonisation of EU regional statistics.
- Socio-economic analyses of the regions.
- NUTS 1: major socio-economic regions
- NUTS 2: basic regions for the application of regional policies
- NUTS 3: as small regions for specific diagnoses * Framing of EU regional policies.
- Regions eligible for aid from the Structural Funds (Objective 1) have been classified at the NUTS 2 level.
- Areas eligible under the other priority objectives have mainly been classified at the NUTS 3 level.
- The Cohesion report has so far mainly been prepared at the NUTS 2 level. http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/nuts_nomenclature/i…