This tutorial walks you through the steps of downloading, installing, and licensing ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, which includes ArcMap, using a Single Use License.
- Make sure you are on a Windows machine (or running Windows in a virtual environment). If you are on a Mac, please see these instructions.
- Click on one of these links to see if your computer meets the system requirements:
- You will need a program that can unzip files. If you need one, we recommend 7-zip, a free program for Windows.
- Note: these instructions were written for ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1. If you are installing a newer version, some file names might be slightly different, but the instructions will otherwise remain the same.
- Request a license for ArcGIS Desktop using this license request form. You will automatically receive an email after filling out the form. If you haven’t received an email within a few minutes, check your Junk Mail. Feel free to contact us if you encounter problems.
- In the email you receive, please click on the download link under ArcGIS Desktop.
- Fill in your UTORid and password when prompted.
- Begin downloading the file. It is large (over 2 GB), so it may take some time.
- When the download is complete, unzip it.
Right click on the file and select 7-zip. Click on Extract to "ArcGIS8.1\"
- There should be three files: ArcGIS_Desktop_1081_175110.exe , ArcGIS_Data_Interop_for_Desktop_1081_175134.exe, and the licensing file, EducationSiteArcGISDesktop_SingleUse_947809.prvc.
- When the download has completed, double-click on the installation file, ArcGIS_Desktop_1081_175110.exe, to launch the ArcGIS for Desktop Setup program.
- It will ask you where you want to extract the ArcGIS Desktop installer files to. Leave the recommended file path and then click the Next button to begin.
- This will take a few minutes. Once the extraction is complete, ensure that "Launch the setup program" is checked, and then click Close.
- The Setup program will begin. Click Next.
- You will be presented with the Master Agreement. Once you have completed reading it, click "I accept the master agreement" and then Next.
- You will be prompted to select between a Complete and Custom installation of the program. We recommend a Complete installation unless you know which specific components you will need. Click Next.
- Install ArcGIS to the recommended directory.
- Install Python to the recommended directory as well. The Python programming language is necessary for some functions of ArcGIS Desktop.
- The program will ask if you wish to participate in anonymously sending usage data. Make your choice, then click Install. This process might take several minutes.
- When the program has successfully been installed, click Finish to exit the installation wizard.
- As soon as you have completed installation, the ArcGIS Administrator Wizard should immediately pop up.
If it does not, please open the ArcGIS Administrator, which should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\ and then click on Desktop, and then Authorize Now.
- Under "1. Select a Product, under ArcGIS Desktop," select "Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use." Then, under "2. Launch the Authorization Wizard for Single Use Product," click on "Authorize Now."
- Select the option "I have received an authorization file from Esri and am now ready to finish the authorization process." Browse to the provisioning file you saved.
- Click "Next".
- Select "Authorize with Esri now over the Internet." If your machine does not have an Internet connection, select the "Authorize at Esri's website or by e-mail to receive your authorization file". Click Next.
- Review the pre-populated personal information and change any relevant fields to represent your infromation. At a minimum, we recommend changing your First and Last Name, as well as your phone number and email. Click Next.
- You will be prompted for your organization, industry, and role. Please fill these out as appropriate. For organization, we recommend Education-Student. For Industry, pick something related to your major. Under Yourself, please pick Student.
- Click Next.
- On the next panel, there should automatically be a code in the box under "ArcGIS Desktop Advanced (Single Use). Click Next.
- This next step is somewhat unintuitive: first, please select "I do not want to authorize any extensions at this time" and then click Next.
- Then, on the following panel, please select all of the extensions in the left column ("Available Extensions") except for "Full Motion Video," and then use the right arrow button to move them to the right column ("Evaluation Extensions").
Note: although you have a license for the Full Motion Video extension, we recommend against using it, since it expires after only 30 days (and has repeated popups warning you it is about to expire) and generally goes unused. That said, feel free to include it if you like.
- Once the extensions are in the "Evaluation Extensions" column, click Next.
- Once ArcGIS finishes authorizing, click "Finish" to complete the authorization process.
Congratulations, you have now installed and authorized ArcGIS Desktop.
ArcGIS Desktop will work with the above steps, but it might encounter errors when working with certain file types. To allow it to work with as broad a range of file types as possible, please follow these steps to install the Data Interoperability Framework after the steps above:
- Returning to the files you downloaded, open ArcGIS_Data_Interop_for_Desktop_1081_175134.exe
- It will ask you where you want to extract the ArcGIS Data Interoperability installer files to. Leave the recommended file path and then click the Next button to begin.
- Once the installation files have been extracted, ensure that "Launch the setup program" is checked and click Close.
- On the Setup panel, click Next.
- After reading the Master Agreement, click "I accept the master agreement" and then click Next.
- Leave the recommended folder as is, and click Next.
- Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
The Data Interoperability extension has now been installed.