This tutorial will help you install ArcGIS 10.x on your Windows operating system. Please request a license code before beginning the installation process. If you are a Mac user, please read this page about running Windows in OS X before requesting a code. If you are seeking to reinstall your already-licensed copy of ArcGIS on a new machine, you will need to deauthorize your license on the old machine first. Please read this page for instructions on how to do so.
For users reauthorizing copies of ArcGIS already installed on their machine, visit http://esri.com/educationedition to register your license code with Esri, then open ArcGIS Administrator (located in the ArcGIS program group in the Start menu). Click on the Desktop folder in the left-hand pane, select the Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use option, then click Authorize Now. The reauthorization procedure will be similar to the process that begins in step 8.
- After filling out the ArcGIS license request form, you will receive an email from a Map & Data Library staff member with an authorization code that begins with EVA. This code will be used to activate your student edition of ArcGIS, and will time out 365 days after installation.
- Go to http://esri.com/educationedition and log in with your ESRI Global Account (create a new one for yourself if necessary). After logging in, you will be prompted to enter your evaluation code.
- On the following page, you can choose a version of ArcGIS to download if you do not already have it installed on your computer. If you are using ArcGIS to complete assignments as part of coursework, please check with your instructor to find out what version you will be using in the course before installation. Download the ArcGIS for Desktop installer to your hard drive. You may also wish to download ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop if you anticipate using data formats that will require conversion.
A popup window will appear prompting you to download each installation file. Click the "click here" link underneath the large "Click to download your file now" button to download the file without installing ESRI's Download Manager.
- When the download has completed, double-click on the installation file to launch the ArcGIS for Desktop Setup program. Click the Next button to begin.
- You will be prompted to select between a Complete and Custom installation of the program. We recommend a Complete installation unless you know which specific components you will need. Install both ArcGIS and Python to the recommended directories.
- When the program has successfully been installed, click Finish to exit the installation wizard.
- The ArcGIS Administrator Wizard should launch immediately after the software has been installed. Select the Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use option and click Authorize Now.
- Select the first option, Authorize with Esri now using the Internet.
- On the next two screens, enter your Authorization Information, filling out the required fields.
- On the following screen, enter the evaluation code provided to you by Map & Data Library staff that you authorized on http://esri.com/educationedition in step 2.
- Select I have authorization number(s) to authorize one or more extensions. You do not need to enter any numbers on this screen. Click Next to proceed to the next screen.
- Select all of the extensions in the Available Extensions window and click the right arrow to add them all to the Evaluation Extensions window. Click Next.
- The wizard will then connect to ESRI to authorize the software. You should receive a message confirming that the installation was successful. Click Finish to complete the installation process. You will now be able to use the software for 365 days. If you downloaded the Data Interoperability installer in step 3, you can now proceed with installing that extension separately.
Feel free to contact us should you require any assistance during the installation process.